My name is Grace. I’m 33 years old. I’ve been married to my wonderful husband for almost ten years. Most people don’t know that we met on the dance floor at a swing dancing event. I guess you could say he swept me off my feet. Over the years we’ve performed at various venues together, ran a swing dancing school, and choreographed wedding dances for couples.
We have four lively and lovely children – our boys are nine, six and four. Just when I thought I would always be a ‘boy-mom’ we were blessed with our little girl, who is now eighteen months old. I’ve been a stay-at-home mum since my eldest was born. It’s what works best for our family, but we’ve had to make some lifestyle sacrifices to achieve this. Fortunately, we met as poor students, were married straight out of university and had our first baby nine months later, so we’ve never been accustomed to having money to spare. I love scouting around op-shops and second-hand markets for beautiful and unique items to furnish our home and ourselves.
We live in our ‘fixer-upper’ house we bought a year ago. We adore the location (amazing views!) and intend this house to be our ‘forever home’. It needs a lot of love, which we are giving it slowly. Very slowly. Our (very small) budget means doing all the work ourselves while juggling life’s demands. Our house was built in 1972 and the originally owners exhuberatly embraced that era. Think wood panelling, and lots of it. I hope to share our efforts at restyling and repairing our home (if we ever complete a room!)
Oh, and our house really is named ‘Joy’. Above the front door is an original stained glass window, spelling out the words ‘La Joie’ (French for joy.) We couldn’t have named it better ourselves.
Ten Things to Know About Me:
- My last meal would have to include cheesecake. Baked, please.
- I need to be doing something with my hands – knitting, sewing, gardening or baking.
- We keep bees in our backyard.
- Coffee. Black, please. No sugar. Just coffee.
- I cry very easily. Even more so when pregnant. Most often I cry when I am moved by beauty.
- I once drove from Los Angeles to Dallas with a two-year-old. It went surprisingly well.
- My first three children were born at home, but each in a different home.
- I get really excited by children’s literature.
- I have a Bachelors Degree in Art History
- I’m an introvert who loves to talk.